Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I'm Not a Grown-Up Yet

Dear Reader,

I snuck out yesterday. Like a sloth in the night, I snuck.

I went to see a financial advisor about purchasing my first stock. It wasn't nearly as exciting as I had thought it would be. The feeling I had after I left was rather similar to the feeling I had after I had first inquired, "Mommy, how to credit cards work?" when I was 4 years old. A tad bit overwhelmed.

I had been looking at the Apple stock as they are doing so well right now, apparently that is the very reason not to buy it. Apple is at the top of it's little stock mountain, and that is never a good buying time, it has never been as high as it is now before. My attention was re-directed to the stock Elli Lilly.

Elli Lilly is in the valley of the stock mountains right now, the lowest it has been in a long time. It has also been around a long time and will probably be going back up in value. As my mom put it, Elli Lilly is a pharmaceutical stock with a large percent of it being in physco-trophic meds. People love those, and when you go to the doctor because your bummed and think your sick, and your really not, that doctor usually prescribes those drugs to make you content. Add the stress of the recession and health-care reform to that and you can't go wrong.

However, it was also expressed to me that the stock market is a gamble, and any stock can die. Stocks are money trees, but they are subject to nature. A cold winter, forest fire, or even a lightning storm can kill your tree.

The financial advisor and my mom told me that stocks are more for people with oodles of money, not for young teenagers. The stock market is a game that grown-ups play. They also told me to think about it, and see what I want to do.

So I am, and I don't know for sure. I don't know if I'm ready to play this grown-up game yet.

That was the end of my sneaking. It didn't get a rush from it at all, but I have another sneaking appointment tomorrow that I think will be much more exciting! I'll tell you about it after it happens.

Also, you might like to know, Reader, that I found another blog you might like to read. It is called Sleep Talkin' Man. It is written by a woman who's husband is a sleep talker. She just posts what he says in the night. Apparently her husband is this mild well behaved person when he is awake, but he says some funny things in his sleep. You can check it out, but be warned that the husband has a bit of a potty mouth when he's deep in slumber :-)

Simply, Miss

2 comments:

  1. Keep thinking Miss E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool about your donor. That is something very special! I may have to get a donor ACL for my knee but it won't be the same because my donor will be a cadaver:(

    The stock market is tricky. Go for no load mutual funds and be in for the long term (i.e. years) if you decide to get in.

    Congrats on going to 2 week intervals. That is awesome. Good luck on the sneaking!

    ReplyDelete