Friday, September 18, 2009

First Post, a Surprise, and a Gorilla

Dear Reader,

Welcome! This is my first blog post. These will be my memoirs of my life. I have quite a story. I tried to sum it up the best I could in an "About Me" section here at the bottom of the page. There is much more to the story though; I was only allowed 1,200 characters in the "About Me" part. Plus, my story is in the making. I'm only 14 years old (I'll be 15 in November) and I've got my whole life ahead of me.

I have to tell you a bit about how my blog is going to work. Firstly, I rather it thought of more as a journal, note, letter, diary, or as my memoirs. Blogs always remind me of gossip, but I'm not going to deny that this is a blog or that I am a blogger. I am. Secondly, I'm going to let you into my life and my mind through this blog, but I don't want people to be hurt in anyway because of that. So EVERYONE will have code names. You probably guessed by now that my name isn't really "Miss Ellaneous". That is my code name. My mom used to call me that when I was younger and it fit. I am Miss Ellaneous, I don't really fit in anywhere. I'm not your normal teenage girl, I don't even know what that is. If ever you figure out anyone's code name, please keep it to yourself. I don't want people to feel uncomfortable around me because I'm Miss Ellaneous and I don't think that other people (Polly, Patch, Celine Dion, CatWoman for example) would want that either.

Today I got a super special surprise from a lady. I'm in the hospital right now for a fever. My fever comes about every 12 hours and it's been coming for about 5 days now. The doctors still aren't positive what is causing it, but my mom proposed a hypothesis to them and they are looking into it. It sounds completely logical, my mom's idea. We still aren't sure though. Anyway, I got a surprise today. A lady came in my room, didn't tell me her name, didn't answer when I said, "Who are you?" and sat her baggy down on my bed. What!!! Who does this lady think she is?!?! Who is she to come in and plop her stuff on my bed and not answer my questions?!?! This lady ticked me off. After a while though, she told me who she was, and opened her bag and gave me what was inside. It was a super special item. There is this group that gives these items to kids who are sick in the hospital. Then a little bit after that she left, by then I liked her. I got the bag too. Today was a pretty cool day.

I have to be in the hospital for a fever because I don't have an immune system. A fever can be easily fatal to someone like me. If I get a fever over 38 degrees Celsius I have to be admitted so that professional specialized ologists and nurses can watch me. I don't have an immune system because I had a bone marrow transplant about a year and 9 months ago. If you know anything about bone marrow transplant you might be thinking "A year and 9 months?! That is a long time, her T-Cells should have been grown and matured by now!" However, I had some complications with transplant. I had acute Graft vs. Host, BK Virus Induced Hemorrhagic Cystitis, BK Nephritis and Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP). In between all of that, I also struggled with side effects of large doses of Prednisone (steroid) including high blood pressure, major swelling, food obsession, diabetes and (never told before now) depression.

The treatment for the ITP probably set me back the most in my progression (I would say that BK Nephritis comes in second), it kind of re-killed my immune system. It was like starting over. When your blood attaches anti-bodies to your platelets and they can't identify the anti-body, you have ITP. I always have bruises and my skin is very fragile. The ITP is stabilized right now and usually my platelets are around 100-120, 175 is normal for my age, so that isn't so bad.

Right now my cousin, Gorilla, is over visiting me. He is a nerd. He is code named Gorilla because he was one for a long time. We love him to bits though. Walski just came in too. She my friend and works as a family rep here at the hospital. So, I'm going to sign out of here and visit with them. I hope you liked my first post, and please leave a comment if you can!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Ellaneous!

    Welcome to the Blogosphere. We are so happy you're going to share your story and your life's journey with us.

    I have a 14 year old daughter and already you remind me of her. Spunky, bright, tenacious, beautiful and very teenage-ery.

    Can't wait to hear more of your stories. You're simply adorable.

    Be well.

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Miss Ellaneous, the blogging world is in for a real treat! We are so glad to hear you are back home! Did we miss something or did you not tell us what this "bag lady" gave you?

    Father Goose, Mother Goose and Princess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Miss E. Beautiful blogging. I was hoping to find out what was in this mysterious bag also!
    Polly

    ReplyDelete